PC programming of UBC780xlt
Staggy
2013-05-27 06:49:21 UTC
Hi Everyone,
I've just recently purchased a UBC780xlt and I was wondering how easy / difficult the PC programming side of it is?
I don't want to control the radio from my PC but it would be handy to set all the memories and search bands etc as I would like them (from my laptop) and then I know what I'm doing.
I did a similar thing with my Icom IC-R5 handheld.

Is the programming cable just a simple RS232 lead as I got (from Ebay) a USB-9 Pin RS232 lead quite a while ago thinking it might be useful at some point and I'm wondering if this will do the job as my laptop is USB of course!

Also what software would I need? Is there a Free one that will programme the radio??

Thanks for your help.

Ian (G1LSK)
apco25jedi
2013-05-28 22:57:27 UTC
Ian,

Programming is quite easy. The cable you need is a simple RS232 extension cable from memory !if you have a serial port on your PC. (sorry havent looked at my 780 for a while now). For a USB I guess you may need to look a little closer at the control commands required down the serial port and check to see if your USB<>Serial cable passes those levels. Sorry cant remember off the top of my head how the 780 does it but some radios do use the RTS, CTS, DTR and DSR lines instead of the TXD/RXD so you would need a USB to Serial that supports those level conversions.

I have always used ARC780 which I found to be fine to program the 780. Been running it for years with no issue on an old serial port supported laptop. The only thing I would say regarding ARC780 is the remote rig control component which did crash my machine a few times. Appeared to be a memory leak issue but I think that seemed to get sorted in later versions.
Not aware of any Free software but I'm sure there might be something out there at the end of a google search..

Good luck,

Simon