Problem with low volume on one band only
Dave
2013-04-06 05:43:30 UTC
Just wondering if anybody might have any ideas on this. A friend purchased a used 780. We noticed that the VHF air band is significantly lower in volume than everything else, including other AM bands,like the UHF air. The reception seems normal, but the volume is just low. Like maybe half what it should be. We compared it with mine at the same location, and with the same external gear... and his is definitely lower. It's an odd problem that I've never encountered before, and I can't seem to find anybody else that has either.

Anything?

Thanks
Nicole
2013-04-06 20:39:44 UTC
Hello Dave,

I need more details about your friend's BC780xlt. When he purchased it, was it sold as non-operational? Did the seller happen to disclose why the unit was being sold? Has your friend or someone else serviced or even simply opened this radio?

We need to rule out any tampering or accidental modification to the delicate internals. If your friend noticed that the radio was very dirty, even around the buttons, there is even more to consider as the cause.

What specific frequency are you encountering the low volume on? Has your friend performed the "factory restore" [press and hold [2],[9],[MAN] and then turn volume knob from OFF to ON]? It could even be as simple as a botched user setting.

Let me know what you discover,
Nicole